Monday, September 04, 2006

Oh yes, I have a blog...

Just to get up to speed, I'll respond to the issues I mentioned in my last post.
Here goes!!!!

"Most of this journey began January 2005. I decided to make a career change, to leave teaching for good."
Okay, I meant for a good year or so, lol. On a whim, I turned in an application with the local school district. I hadn't gotten good vibes from the few interviews I had been on already and figured what the heck. I turned in my file on a Monday and was hired on Wednesday; school started the Monday after that - July24th. (CUSD is on an extended-year schedule... Cool! We get two weeks off in the fall, winter, and spring... SWWWEEET!) I was a "late hire" as this class was just added at the last minute and I missed all of the New-to-District orientation. I'm making those classes up on evenings and weekends.

"Lucky for me, I have a great husband, the kind that Dr. Phil describes as 'providing a soft place to land'. (I must really be great in bed because I’ve yet to figure out how he puts up with my constant insecurities.)"
Generally I don't worry about what other people think about me or the decisions I make. Hubby was kind of leery about the whole thing but I pointed out one major difference. I needed to find out if teaching had burned me out or if I was the "situation" that I was in before. I've been teaching my 6th grade gifted class for over 1 month now and can honestly say that I needed a new, supportive environment. I don't cry on the drive to work anymore. :-)

"There’s a nagging feeling that I never got the chance to really prove myself."
I'm feeling challenge and success. Great professional adminstration and supportive parents. I don't even dare "wait for the other shoe to drop". It is what it is. Teaching is still lots of work, I spent the first few weeks putting in over 50 hours, but it's getting better everyday. I've found my routine, the kids are having a blast, and my family is happier too.

"My evaluations were glowing and positive."
I just got another one... finally!!!

Oh yes, one more thing... what folder???

I'll post again soon!

Peace,
Mon :-)

2 comments:

River Driver said...

Glad it's going well! That's awesome. We've been in since the middle of August. So far, this freshman class seems better behaved than last year's. I'm optimistic...

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Congratulations on getting back in the saddle again!
I know my son changed profundly at the said institution you left teaching for good (or so you thought).
He entered there as a straight "A" student wanting to be the best and left with a "why try? Things aren't going to change..." attitude. STA has changed him in ways I never dreamed would. Unfortuantely, they were not positive changes. However, we're not looking back or dwelling; just learning from it. The most important lesson? Stand behind your kid; no one is without fault.