Monday, March 27, 2006

How I Lost 7 Pounds Last Month


I've been doing my own version of Weight Watchers, with the help of a friend at work, and lost 7 pounds. Then I came back from vacation and discovered that I gained them back. At least I know how to lose them again.
The first thing I did was figure out how many "points" I was allowed per day. For quick reference, I'm 120'ish (or was) and allowed 20 points a day. Basically, if you are 150, you get 2 more points per day per 25 lb. increments. (I didn't post the chart so I'm not infringing on anything, right???)
20 points a day sucks. Based on Dottie's Weight Loss Zone, very comprehensive website including restaruants and downloads, my daily Toffee Nut Latte was costing me big, 7 points. That's without the freakin' cream cheese danish. (F***, f***, f***!) Then lunch would consist of a Sonic Jr. Burger meal with medium cherry vanilly Coke... Oh yeah! An 18 point lunch! Fageddabout dinner! If hubby was working, the girls and I would run by BK's, fast and cheap or should I say inexpensive in the monetary sense. Only 29.5 for that one meal.
But hold on to your hats!! It's very common for hubby to come home for his 8:30 p.m. lunch break and join me for a bit of ice cream or cake and a glass of 2% before my bedtime; at least another 7 to 10 there.
And there's more!! It was very common to snack during the day. Occasionally, I have been known to indulge in a candy bar from the vending machine when the mood strikes. Enough already!
I did the math for you... 61.5 points a day. THREE TIMES MY ALLOWANCE!! And of course, no exercise either. It wasn't until I noted what I was eating that it made a difference. When you see this, it isn't a lot of food. Most people would starve on my pre-WW diet.
With the help of my friend and Dottie's website, I made different food choices. I found that I'm actually eating more but making better choices. Basically, I try to eat a 5 point breakfast and lunch, and a 10 point dinner. Better still, I can do 3 or 4 points at breakfast/lunch, and a couple of snacks throughout the day. Check out Dottie's 0 and 1 point food lists!

This is what my "new" menu looks like:
Breakfast:
A large coffee with non-fat, flavored creamer (1)
One bag of Special K snack bites (2)
*A piece of fruit (1 to 2)
Mid-Morning Snack:
*Light Yogurt (1 to 2)
Lunch:
Smart Ones dinner (2 to 4)
Dole Fruit Parfait - These rock! (2)
Mid-Afternoon Snack:
*Laughing Cow Cheese Wedges, Light Original - Another fave! (1)
Low-Fat Wheat Thins - 8 crackers are 1 serving (2)
Dinner:
Pasta w/Marinara (6)
*Lettuce w/croutons, tomatoes, and light dressing (2)
Dessert:
*Blue Bunny Sweet Freedom No Sugar Added Krunch Lites (2)
Total - 28 points*
*Disclaimer - for every 20 minutes of light exercise, you get 2 points. (See next paragraph.)


When I get busy at work, I don't usually eat the fruit or yogurt. I'll have the fruit at lunch. Sometimes I substitute the Dole fruit for plain fruit cup or a WW snack cake, very delish!
Likewise with the mid-afternoon snack, if I get too busy, I skip the cheese but eat the crackers or the 1-point popcorn. At night, sometimes I skip the salad and ice cream. BTW, I've found that when I'm craving ice cream it's really a sign of thirst. I'll drink a glass of water and the craving is gone.
The other hard thing for me is the water... I'm not a freakin' camel! I try to get at least 4 to 5 glasses in but have diet soda throughout the day. (I know it's not good for you but I'm screwed if I have the fully leaded version, 3 points.)
I'm sure you get the gist of what I needed to do to make a difference. (I'm still a little over 20 a day but most days I'm 18 or 19.)
I hope this has helped. I'll be sure to post any nuggets of info I can glean.

Ciao, babes!
Mon :-)

2 comments:

Chelle said...

You are looking good, Mon! I noticed!

iamhoff said...

Good luck Mon. It ain't easy, but keep nibbling on the bunny food and squirrel bait, and the weight should drop off. At least that's what I keep telling myself. Now I gotta hit the road and eat lunch in a drive thru. Oh well, it beats another Chinese buffet!